Ceramic tile is an excellent addition to any Wisconsin home. Floor Coverings International Madison is proud to partner with industry leaders Shaw Floors and Daltile to bring the very best selection of ceramic tile available to homeowners living in Madison WI.
Looking to learn more about how ceramic tile can elevate your home? Look no further! Read on for more information on one of our most popular flooring options.
What is Ceramic Tile?
Ceramic is a catch-all term for solid materials made from fired clay. The word “ceramic” itself is derived from the Greek word “kéramos,” meaning “potter’s clay.” Types of ceramic include earthenware (such as terracotta), stoneware, and porcelain.
Ceramic tiles are thick, flat pieces of baked clay commonly used in modern flooring. During production, clay, minerals, and other materials are tumbled, crushed, and pulverized into a dust that is then compressed by steel to create the tile’s shape. The newly-formed tiles are then coated with a durable outer glaze and fired for several days at temperatures exceeding 2,000 degrees.
To install, pre-mixed adhesives or thin-set mortar are spread across a flat water-resistant backer board using a trowel. Tile slabs are set upon the adhesive, crevices are filled with grout, and floors are finished with a moisture- and stain-resistant sealant.
Why Should I Choose Ceramic?
Ceramic tiles offer a wide variety of benefits to homeowners, especially:
- Long-Lasting: Ceramic tile’s production process makes it a durable flooring product with excellent longevity. When properly sealed and maintained, it can withstand the everyday wear-and-tear of an active Wisconsin family for years to come.
- Effortless Elegance: Ceramic tiles are especially valued for their aesthetically-pleasing appearance, and are available in a variety of shades and textures perfect to match any décor.
- Anti-Allergen: For families suffering from sensitivity to dirt, dust, or dander, ceramic tile is an excellent choice. While carpets and rugs can keep allergens trapped despite consistent cleaning, ceramic tile owners can eliminate irritants with a simple sweep or a quick mop.
- Great in Any Space: Kitchens, bathrooms, mudrooms, and laundry rooms have long been adorned with ceramic tiles. While not ideal for outdoor use, ceramic tiles can be added to virtually any indoor space – including bedrooms, living rooms, and dining rooms.
- Manageable Maintenance: While highly durable, ceramic tiles are not indestructible. On rare occasion, tiles may crack or chip when subjected to intense cold or pressure. If the need arises, damaged tiles can be replaced individually rather than collectively, saving you time and money on repairs.
- High Value, Low Cost: Ceramic tiles typically cost less than glass or stone flooring and provide many of the same benefits that draw consumers to those materials. If you’re looking for a long-term investment without breaking the bank, consider ceramic tile.
Get Started in Madison Today!
Floor Coverings International Madison is proud to provide free, in-home design consultations to families living in Madison WI. Use our online scheduling tool to book your complimentary estimate today!