If you’re looking to install new flooring you may find yourself with an endless array of flooring options. Today, homeowners don’t simply have to choose between tile, carpet, or hardwood; there is a multitude of new flooring options on the market now. One that homeowners seem to gravitate towards is laminate. Here at Floor Coverings International in Madison, we are happy to pass along some of our flooring knowledge to help you make the right choice for your home. Read on to learn some of the great benefits of laminate flooring and also some of its drawbacks.
Why It’s Great
- Laminate flooring is a very durable flooring option that can stand up to high traffic in your home.
- You can install laminate that mimics the appearance of hardwood floors, or even natural stone and tile.
- Beyond that, laminate is low maintenance; you won’t have to worry about humidity damage or having your laminate floors in direct sunlight. Laminate can weather the elements and look great for years to come.
- Cleaning your laminate floors requires minimal effort and laminate is a hypoallergenic flooring option, too!
- If you’re looking to get your remodel done quickly, you can rest easy knowing that laminate is extremely quick and simple to install.
Combine that with the low price for materials and it’s simple to see why many homeowners are turning towards laminate flooring to get the look they want at a pleasantly lower price.
Where It’s Lacking
It couldn’t all be good news for laminate, could it? Like any flooring available, laminate has its drawbacks and savvy Madison homeowners should take note.
- One of the most pressing is the simple fact that laminate flooring is made using a laminated high resolution image of wood or stone; it is not the real deal. For some homeowners that is an issue and so it is best to stick with standards like solid hardwood flooring or natural stone floors.
- Laminate will last for many years but your options are more limited. For example, it is not possible to sand and refinish laminate flooring.
- And while laminate flooring is quite durable, it will not outlast more expensive options like solid hardwood flooring or natural stone.
- Laminate will also not significantly raise the value of your home, so while it is an appealing initial investment, you may wish you’d sprung for the deluxe flooring options when it comes time to sell your home.
Think you’re ready to add some laminate flooring to your home? Still have questions about this flooring option or want to know what other options are available? Give the experts at Floor Coverings International in Madison a call and set up a free in-home consultation. We’ll make sure you have the information you need to get the right flooring for your home.
Photo: Patryk Kosmider